Peter Thiel - The Education of a Libertarian

The Education of a Libertarian

By
Peter Thiel
Response Essays
April 13, 2009

I remain committed to the faith of my teenage years: to authentic human freedom as a precondition for the highest good. I stand against confiscatory taxes, totalitarian collectives, and the ideology of the inevitability of the death of every individual. For all these reasons, I still call myself “libertarian.”

But I must confess that over the last two decades, I have changed radically on the question of how to achieve these goals. Most importantly, I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible. By tracing out the development of my thinking, I hope to frame some of the challenges faced by all classical liberals today.

As a Stanford undergraduate studying philosophy in the late 1980s, I naturally was drawn to the give-and-take of debate and the desire to bring about freedom through political means. I started a student newspaper to challenge the prevailing campus orthodoxies; we scored some limited victories, most notably in undoing speech codes instituted by the university. But in a broader sense we did not achieve all that much for all the effort expended. Much of it felt like trench warfare on the Western Front in World War I; there was a lot of carnage, but we did not move the center of the debate. In hindsight, we were preaching mainly to the choir — even if this had the important side benefit of convincing the choir’s members to continue singing for the rest of their lives.

As a young lawyer and trader in Manhattan in the 1990s, I began to understand why so many become disillusioned after college. The world appears too big a place. Rather than fight the relentless indifference of the universe, many of my saner peers retreated to tending their small gardens. The higher one’s IQ, the more pessimistic one became about free-market politics — capitalism simply is not that popular with the crowd. Among the smartest conservatives, this pessimism often manifested in heroic drinking; the smartest libertarians, by contrast, had fewer hang-ups about positive law and escaped not only to alcohol but beyond it.

As one fast-forwards to 2009, the prospects for a libertarian politics appear grim indeed. Exhibit A is a financial crisis caused by too much debt and leverage, facilitated by a government that insured against all sorts of moral hazards — and we know that the response to this crisis involves way more debt and leverage, and way more government. Those who have argued for free markets have been screaming into a hurricane. The events of recent months shatter any remaining hopes of politically minded libertarians. For those of us who are libertarian in 2009, our education culminates with the knowledge that the broader education of the body politic has become a fool’s errand.

Indeed, even more pessimistically, the trend has been going the wrong way for a long time. To return to finance, the last economic depression in the United States that did not result in massive government intervention was the collapse of 1920–21. It was sharp but short, and entailed the sort of Schumpeterian “creative destruction” that could lead to a real boom. The decade that followed — the roaring 1920s — was so strong that historians have forgotten the depression that started it. The 1920s were the last decade in American history during which one could be genuinely optimistic about politics. Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians — have rendered the notion of “capitalist democracy” into an oxymoron.

In the face of these realities, one would despair if one limited one’s horizon to the world of politics. I do not despair because I no longer believe that politics encompasses all possible futures of our world. In our time, the great task for libertarians is to find an escape from politics in all its forms — from the totalitarian and fundamentalist catastrophes to the unthinking demos that guides so-called “social democracy.”

The critical question then becomes one of means, of how to escape not via politics but beyond it. Because there are no truly free places left in our world, I suspect that the mode for escape must involve some sort of new and hitherto untried process that leads us to some undiscovered country; and for this reason I have focused my efforts on new technologies that may create a new space for freedom. Let me briefly speak to three such technological frontiers:

(1) Cyberspace. As an entrepreneur and investor, I have focused my efforts on the Internet. In the late 1990s, the founding vision of PayPal centered on the creation of a new world currency, free from all government control and dilution — the end of monetary sovereignty, as it were. In the 2000s, companies like Facebook create the space for new modes of dissent and new ways to form communities not bounded by historical nation-states. By starting a new Internet business, an entrepreneur may create a new world. The hope of the Internet is that these new worlds will impact and force change on the existing social and political order. The limitation of the Internet is that these new worlds are virtual and that any escape may be more imaginary than real. The open question, which will not be resolved for many years, centers on which of these accounts of the Internet proves true.

(2) Outer space. Because the vast reaches of outer space represent a limitless frontier, they also represent a limitless possibility for escape from world politics. But the final frontier still has a barrier to entry: Rocket technologies have seen only modest advances since the 1960s, so that outer space still remains almost impossibly far away. We must redouble the efforts to commercialize space, but we also must be realistic about the time horizons involved. The libertarian future of classic science fiction, à la Heinlein, will not happen before the second half of the 21st century.

(3) Seasteading. Between cyberspace and outer space lies the possibility of settling the oceans. To my mind, the questions about whether people will live there (answer: enough will) are secondary to the questions about whether seasteading technology is imminent. From my vantage point, the technology involved is more tentative than the Internet, but much more realistic than space travel. We may have reached the stage at which it is economically feasible, or where it soon will be feasible. It is a realistic risk, and for this reason I eagerly support this initiative.

The future of technology is not pre-determined, and we must resist the temptation of technological utopianism — the notion that technology has a momentum or will of its own, that it will guarantee a more free future, and therefore that we can ignore the terrible arc of the political in our world.

A better metaphor is that we are in a deadly race between politics and technology. The future will be much better or much worse, but the question of the future remains very open indeed. We do not know exactly how close this race is, but I suspect that it may be very close, even down to the wire. Unlike the world of politics, in the world of technology the choices of individuals may still be paramount. The fate of our world may depend on the effort of a single person who builds or propagates the machinery of freedom that makes the world safe for capitalism.

For this reason, all of us must wish Patri Friedman the very best in his extraordinary experiment.

Editor’s Note: Mr. Thiel has further elaborated on the question of suffrage here. We copy these remarks below as well:

I had hoped my essay on the limits of politics would provoke reactions, and I was not disappointed. But the most intense response has been aimed not at cyberspace, seasteading, or libertarian politics, but at a commonplace statistical observation about voting patterns that is often called the gender gap.

It would be absurd to suggest that women’s votes will be taken away or that this would solve the political problems that vex us. While I don’t think any class of people should be disenfranchised, I have little hope that voting will make things better.

Voting is not under siege in America, but many other rights are. In America, people are imprisoned for using even very mild drugs, tortured by our own government, and forced to bail out reckless financial companies.

I believe that politics is way too intense. That’s why I’m a libertarian. Politics gets people angry, destroys relationships, and polarizes peoples’ vision: the world is us versus them; good people versus the other. Politics is about interfering with other people’s lives without their consent. That’s probably why, in the past, libertarians have made little progress in the political sphere. Thus, I advocate focusing energy elsewhere, onto peaceful projects that some consider utopian.

http://www.cato-unbound.org/2009/04/13/peter-thiel/education-libertarian

http://nautilusmaker.discoursehosting.net/uploads/db7580/optimized/2X/7/7ec5883d4b80bf66a7803403d0f101d2c930d09b_1_690x319.jpg

floating dome cluster ocean city

http://nautilusmaker.discoursehosting.net/uploads/db7580/optimized/2X/b/be6ea06080cfb7d8a46c37239c5daac1eb407fa5_1_690x319.jpg

garden center floating city dome cluster

concepts:
/ Lens shell pictures overview / / Ramform floating home pictures / / c-shell floating home pictures / / Floating concrete building methods / / shell cluster pictures / / investor proposal list /

Europe | Latin-America | Business | #latinamericagrowth | unrestricted medical progress • floating stem cell clinic • oceanic business alliance • interference VIP Tourism MICE | key player network • ocean colonization | Floating-Event-Platform™ | Nemo-Token™ • ICO • Initial Coin Offering • Ethereum • Oceanic-Business-Alliance™ | mykonos | #LatinAmericaBusiness | miscanastas.com | #ColombiaCartagena | floating city • technology | wilfried-ellmer-shell-ocean-colonization-technology | Ellmer-Consulting-Group™ • LATAM - Marketing • Market-Entry • Network | ibaguevende.com | Europe-Colombia business development | #CaptainNemoInvestment | key player | get a foothold | #CaptainNemoInvestment | concrete-submarine™ | #CartagenaMarineKeyPlayerNetwork | keynote speaker | blue strategy | concrete submarine advanced shell #CaptainNemoBusiness | wilfried ellmer group • concrete composite engineering | #CartagenaBusiness | submarine-habitat-architecture-nautilusmaker® | business strategist | #CaribbeanBusiness | canastas Colombia • arquitectura • artesania • miscanastas.com | floating stem cell research center international • oceanic business alliance™ | marine global solutions | Mittelständische Maschinenbauunternehmen • Markteintritt Südamerika | New-Atlantis™ | Key Player Network • Cultural Competence Training • Germany LATAM | latin america business development network | marine concrete construction network | Advisory Project • € 453 Budget • € 5.000 budget | Strategic connections | Oceanic-Solutions™ • Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ | Germany-Colombia • business development • ROI based | deep sea treasure hunting | Austria • Latin America • Manager | light honeycomb shell • floating homes | Cartagena Colombia business opportunities | spearheading ocean colonization • oceanic business alliance™ | ICO • Inital Coin Offering • NemoToken™ • Strategic-Ocean-Invest | #BusinessDevelopmentLatinAmerica | Netzwerk-Mittelstand-Kolumbien-Export | Marcela Mancilla • conferencista • asesora | Oceanic-Business-Alliance™ • Token • ICO • yook3™ • Ethereum | #CartagenaTours | que hacer • que evitar | visionary • speaker • frontier development • disruptive investment | build concrete submarine | Termite-Tech™ • matrix printing • dot printing architecture | #YatesAlquilerCartagena | doing business in colombia | ready to use network | Ocean-Sphere-Alliance™ | Ibiza • floating platform • events | what needs to be done to make seasteading investment worthy | engineering and construction group | colombia • leadership • business • international | Field Development • Europe-Latin-America | dilmun oceanic business alliance | low risk entrance | Rechtsanwälte | concrete submarine yacht builder | tourism Colombia | advantage of existing networks | ramform-floating-platform | #ConcreteSubmarine | global facilitator | #networkmarketing | Floating Real Estate • NemoToken™ | Oceanic • Cement Composite Technologies • Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ | #ConcreteSubmarineYacht | submarine robotics | new frontier development | Ocean Technology Sector | economia | economy | cero monkey business ship repair caribbean | web image handler | #DipYourToeColombiaInvestment | ocean engineering • oceanic business concrete • advanced shell building technology • nautilusmaker® | offshoring megatrend of the century | ocean colonization technology leadership | technology | turismo Colombia | #Cartagena-Colombia-Yachting | #GaleriaC | oceanic transhumanism • floating future of mankind | what you should know about me • yook3™ | ocean colonization technology | mittelständischer Maschinenbau • Lateinamerika Markteintritt | oceanic real estate paradigm shift • ocean colonization | ready to use network of business connections • Ellmer Consulting-Group™ | blue ocean business alliance network | next frontier | oceanic business alliance • floating bubble shell cluster | big data • big ocean • oceanic business alliance™ • next big thing | Lateinamerika Beratung | stunning ambients • perfect solutions • VIP events | Colombia • Explorer | floating infrastructure • paradigm shift | openness of minds and codes • pushing boundaries | business frontiers | Deutsche Mittelstandsfirmen • Lateinamerika Markteinführung • Spezial-Agentur | transition management | next big thing | Astilleros • Cartagena • Colombia • International Connection • Europe • Ellmer Group | Marcela-Mancilla™ • event • ideas • vision • art • design • logistics | Germany-Colombia-Business-Agency™ | advanced concrete engineering technology • submarine • Wilfried Ellmer Group™ | concrete composite technology | #RedNegocios | concrete submarine prototype • wilfried ellmer | #BusinessMentor | Wilfried Ellmer | wilfried – ellmer – group – latin – america – business network – agency | business club | #EllmerGroup | Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ • connecting people to opportunities | #ColombiaEmergingMarket | Geschäftsanbahnung • Kolumbien • Lateinamerika | #startingabusinessincolombia | cartagenavende.com | #businessmatchmaking | Breakaway Civilization • Ocean • Galt’s Gulch • Interference Freedom | Entering-the-Latin-American-Market | concrete pressure vessel • submarine hulls | global investors “next to do list” | Geschaeftsnetzwerk Europa-Suedamerika | conexion estrategica • negocios inteligentes | Paradigm Shift • Frontier Development • LATAM • Marine • disruptive investment | portal network | evolutionary development • frontier markets | mittelstand | Portal Industrial Cartagena ™ | oceanic freedom • freedom of the seas • ocean colonization • interference freedom | Colombia Market Expert | deep sea • submarine salvage • global reach | Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ • frontier markets • Colombia • Wien • Salzburg • Mittelstand | Lateinamerika Markteintritt • mittelständische Unternehmen | #GermanColombiaBusiness | Markteintritt testen | Lateinamerikanische-Unternehmen-in-Deutschland | #ConcreteSubmarineYacht | been there, done that | yook3 • what you should know | yook3coin™ | submarine yacht | international business colombia | #Santa-Marta-Colombia-Tourism | mittelbetriebe | going galt yacht | Cartagena Colombia yachting • services • rental • charter • logistics • connections | blue ocean strategy • ellmer group • leadership platform | #ColombiaResidentEuropeanManager | #MarineEngineeringCaribbean | floating honeycomb shell architecture | oceanic stem cell clinic • oceanic freedom • New-Atlantis™ • fast-track progress | #ColombiaEuropeanManager | take advantage of existing networks | cement composite submarine | key player network • ICO token • Oceanic Business Alliance • Co-Founder-options | Kolumbien Abenteuerreisen • Germany • Adventure-Tours • Motorrad • Horseback • Scuba | light concrete composite | seasteading-concrete-shell-honeycomb-structures-ellmer-group™ | Wilfried Ellmer key player network marine futurist | key player network LATAM business international | colombia business network | #CartagenaWaterSports | digital marketing network | ocean frontier • open a code free space • concrete engineering | world running out of space • ocean sphere | Global Smart Machines Market | ellmer group • stem cell research platform • oceanic freedom | Kolumbien Experte • German • Expat • Manager | Spezialreisen | Ellmer-Marine™ | ocean engineering network • oceanic business alliance | Tourismus Kolumbien | joint venture | floating-structures-technology • advanced cement composites • leadership | #InternationalBusinessColombia | opportunity spotting | Lateinamerika Marketing Projekt € 5.000 Budget | nano cement technology • submarine yacht | Vent Base Alpha • ocean colonization • Nemo-Token | oceanic business alliance • Co-Founder • equity | submarine-yacht™ | what needs to be done to make seasteading investment worthy | advanced cement composite • marine • submarine • Ellmer-Consulting-Group™ | #VelerosCartagenaColombia | spearheading cement composite technology • oceanic business alliance™ | #NautilusmakerNetwork | Global Networks • Business • Latin America-Europe | #Nemo-Token™ | The Big Five of Ocean Colonization • Real Estate • Energy • Mining • Aquaculture • Transport | #ColombiaInternationalManager | #ColombiaExport | #latinindustryBiz | Management • Global • Latin America • Europe | ocean colonization key technology | floating concrete building methods | #ColombiaBusinessMentor | Wilfried Ellmer • Österreicher • Expat • Manager • Entrepeneur | Lateinamerika Netzwerk • Export • Markteintritt • Mittelstand | global marine empires floating cities | Latin America cultural competence consulting • coaching | expat netzwerk | #CartagenaColombiaBusinessPartnership | #Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ | use our existing network | #LatinAmericaBusinessConsultingNetwork | Austria - Colombia • Business Agency | finding key players | atlas shrugged offshore | Geschäftspartneragentur | Expanding Ocean Network | oceanic-business-alliance™ | oceanic real estate paradigm shift | nautilusmaker® • advanced cement composites • marine technology | opening humanity’s next frontier | floating concrete building methods | #Concrete-Submarine-Yacht™ | services • solutions • industrial process engineering | Marcela-Mancilla™ | Austria-Spain-Business-Network™ | #OceanFrontierDevelopment | Marcela Mancilla • plataforma de asesoria • eventos • logistica • arte • arquitectura | game-changer | concrete sculpture | #economylatinamerica | floating production sites | global integrator | agency | latin america marketing campaign | #SubmarineHabitat | Adventure Travel • Wild Frontiers | strategy design | game-changing-developments | Austria • Wien • Salzburg • Lateinamerika • Geschäftsnetzwerk • Agentur | advanced composite building | #ColombiaAgent | Malpelo-Expeditions • Colombia • VIP tours | your channel to | opportunity spotting Latin America - Europe • business | get commited | bubble cluster structure • marine construction • cement composite | Maschinenbau | cutting edge | yacht business headquarters | German companies doing business in Colombia | (57) 3158781859 | membership | Kolumbien • Reise • Agentur | Ellmer-Consulting-Group™ • Marketing • Lateinamerika • Markteintritt | ocean-colonization-ICO-token | Firmen-Lateinamerika-Marktentwicklung | European-Latin-American-Business-Alliance™ | Oceanic Business Alliance • ICO • get invested • floating future of mankind | Wilfried Ellmer ICO Token | new-atlantis-francis-bacon | international business strategy • Europe • LATAM | phase 1 key conversation • the beginning of the floating future of mankind | Evolutionary Context • Seasteading | long term value • LATAM-Connect | Floating Home Caribbean • USD 98 K Budget | platform | leadership | habitat | architecture | shell building | #SuedamerikaBusiness | getting in on a hot IPO | seasteading-ellmer-token | subdue to nobody | Germany-Colombia-Network-Ellmer-Group™ | #high-yield-invest-LATAM | get foothold | NemoToken™ | yacht-submarine • nautilusmaker®-technologies | global opportunities • Latin-America • Europe | SAFT token | oceanic freedom • stem cell • research • futurism • unrestricted | #ColombiaBusinessNetwork | German Mittelstand | floating real estate • frontier development • key technology | alliance • ocean frontier | Growth and Business Development Strategies | Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ | Wilfried-Ellmer-Consulting-Group™ | become a team member | Globalisierung des Mittelstandes • Lateinamerika • Markteintritt • Agentur | integrated floating shell design • ocean colonization • real estate • paradigm change | caribbean seasteading | Ellmer-Consulting-Group™ • International expansion experts • Latin America | imulead™ | Europe • Latin America • Business Services • Network | Wilfried Ellmer-LATAM-Consulting-Group™ | Galeon San Jose treasure | freedom | Colombia marine business alliance | #InvestmentOpportunity | oceanic trade routes | floating stem cell institute • global research • interference freedom | Latin America - Europe • Business Reputation Network • Key Player Network • yook3™ | #ColombiaResidentManager | blue ocean quest • concrete submarine | portal network | #CaptainNemoYacht | frontier opening | high yield invest LATAM | your channel to Latin America market entry | futuristic offshore architecture | luxury undersea yacht | worldwide mobile | marine future speaker | solicitud fabricacion sobre medidas | blue frontier | colombia negocios internacionales | #ColombiaDigitalMarketing | closing the gap | Berater | marine engineering | spain-yook3 | Concrete-Submarine™ | New-VENICE™ | mobilis in mobili | NewAtlantis™ • floating city • ocean • technology | Key-Player-Network-Latin-America-Europe-Business-Alliance | concrete-submarine-yacht-project™ | Lateinamerika • Marketing-Projekt • € 5.000 Budget • get started • Spezial-Agentur | seasteading is not about politics • investment • disruptive technology | Latin America incoming manager German Mittelstand | #InternetExpertProductPlacement | Ellmer-Mancilla™ | Incoming Agentur Südamerika | business network • latin america • ready to use • distribution networks • market entry | seasteading key engineering group • nautilusmaker® • ocean colonization | Lateinamerika-Berater • Spezial-Agentur-Mittelstand | Spezial-Agentur | consistent level of service | Colombia-Europe • marketing • market entry • special-agency #LatinAmericaBusinessLeadership | marine honeycomb shell architecture • cement composite technology | LATAM business success | oceanic business alliance • stem cell floating clinic platform | cement composite technology | submarine yacht • migaloo • phoenix • oceanic business alliance | advanced oceanic construction • composite technology | Ocean-Token™ • Oceanic-Business Alliance™ | key player network • social platform • business connections | spanish | when opportunitiy knocks - will you be ready | poor man’s floating island | Markteintritt • Mittelbetriebe • Lateinamerika | asesoria para novias • Cartagena Colombia • Marcela-Mancilla™ • eventos | strategic stakes • solid partnerships | Colombia incoming agency guidance | yook3™ • international • business • integration | get the benefit of our vast network of providers, to your project | private concrete submarines | is submarine living space expensive | ocean colonization leadership | interference freedom in pharma research | tourism Santa Marta-Colombia | phase 1 investor conversation • floating future of mankind • oceanic business alliance | business frontier development | Internet Marketing Campaigns | Nautilus-Alliance-Network™ | #ColombiaBusinessDevelopment | evolutionary line of seasteading | #ROIfocusedDigitalMarketing | subdue to nobody • oceanic freedom • interference freedom | GaleriaC™ | Ocean-Colonization-Technology™ | tubular shell • sphere shell • bubble cluster shell • ocean colonization | Floating Home Caribbean • USD 98 K Budget • Wilfried Ellmer Group™ | dilmun high yield invest | Steuerexperten | floating infrastructure • ports • industry | CoinList | Wilfried-Ellmer-Consulting™ • Germany-Colombia | bubble-cluster-structure | 10% + ROI • Return on Investment | Strategic Leadership • LATAM • Europe | #ColombiaBusinessMentor | what is a NemoToken™ | German - Colombian business networks | solving bottleneck • floating structures | Ellmer Group Marine | New-Atlantis™ • floating city • ocean colonization • yook3™ • nautilusmaker® | Deutsche Firmen Kolumbien | no monkey business • ship repair • compliance driven | wilfried ellmer group • marine concrete engineering | deep sea research • nautilusmaker | Filiale aufmachen | marine economic empires | #DeutscheLateinamerikaInvestments | Ocean Colonization Technology • Futurist • Speaker | innovation networks | deep sea colonization | ocean colony | #ConcreteSubmarine | Lateinamerika wer hilft beim Markteintritt | inversion extranjera directa | investing in disruptive infrastructure | guide | Strategic-Ocean-Token™ | Vent-Base-Alpha | make a Latin America market entry on a € 5.000 budget | #MarketEntrance | tissue engineering • stem cell platform • fasttrack progress | Kolumbien Netzwerk Mittelstand |

Business | International | key player network | Europe | LATAM | Colombia | connection | Market Entry |

Get connected | strategy | markets | Germany | business | Special-Agency |

| Get a Boardroom Here | what you should know about me | Business Coordinates | get started | get connected | yook3™

Strategic Ocean Token • Nemo Token • New-Atlantis™ • Get Invested

LATAM-Europe • Business Network • Wilfried-Ellmer-Group™ • Get Connected

Floating Future of Mankind • Key Conversation • Solving the Bottleneck