Energy/Utilities

Hi - saw this the other day. Shows progress towards very easy and cheap hydrogen separation from water; hydrogen goes into a fuel cell, and we get electricity. I really think that our energy production will not be a problem.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/cobalt-atoms-on-graphene-a-low-cost-catalyst-for-producing-hydrogen-from-water

Graphene is ideal for Marinea. It can be used also to filter salt from saltwater.

However, because it is so excellent structurally and at the nanotech level, if ingested it has been found that the tiny edges rip through human cells.

Just something to think about for any applications where the output might mix in with our food or water resources.

It would almost have to be a closed system or you would have rather explosive hydrogen making a mess out of things.

So we’d have to be aware of containment, having the energy generation, water purification, etc. some distance away from the seastead. We could run pipes to the structure, etc. I see no issue with that as long as we have enough water storage and battery backup on the lens itself to sustain itself in case of loss of connectivity.

And the carbon could damage sea life as well so we need to make sure we’re doing what we can to manage it properly.

Personally I prefer having the industrial side of the seastead remote such that it doesn’t interfere with the residents

I think hydrogen is less of a problem than it seems. That being said, if we have hydrogen generation/fuel cells away from the lens in a separate pod, we can just pipe the electricity to the lens and there wouldn’t be any graphene/hydrogen near the residential area

# | Buy a membership token for USD 5 and become a member of our club. |

On the topic of utilities, read a couple new techniques for purifying water (for reference and review later when we’re ready to choose a solution for water purification)